Sewing

Traveling backgammon

We found an old backgammon set at a garage sale for 50 cents, and I couldn’t resist the idea of doing another backgammon set.  The first set replaced a decrepit one from my childhood that I used to help me learn techniques for my first quilting effort.  It’s a bit large, though, and I wanted to make a smaller one.  I used Pellon 725 Wonder Under for the pips.  I make a template, then draw them onto the Wonder Under paper before adhering it to the fabric and cutting with scissors.  Iron on the pips, figure out the zigzag stitch, remember where to tuck the ribbon (epic fail resulting in cursing and seam ripper, but easily corrected in the end).  The pink one below is the newest…and probably the last.  I’m not yet ready for summer, but ready for playing backgammon, at least.

The back was cut from an old shirt, as was the carry bag for the pieces (that I forgot to photograph)

The back was cut from an old shirt, as was the carry bag for the pieces (that I forgot to photograph)

I finally figured out the zigzag stitch, and opted for no binding at the last minute.  Always room for improvement, but I like it and it works.

I finally figured out the zigzag stitch, and opted for no binding at the last minute. Always room for improvement, but I like it and it works.

 

Large, manly, and my first attempt at applique.  I also learned that bias tape is garbage and made my own for the quilt with great results.

Large, manly, and my first attempt at applique. I also learned that bias tape is garbage and made my own for the quilt with great results.

Standard